Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012

Tito Ortiz talks about UFC 148, the Hall of Fame and the next chapter

It's going to be an eventful summer for Tito Ortiz, a man who was recognized as one of the most important fighters in the growth of the UFC when the promotion decided to induct him into their Hall of Fame. He will fight Forrest Griffin on July 7 at UFC 148, making it the third time the pair will meet. After that bout, Ortiz plans to retire.

"I've done everything," Ortiz told Cagewriter. "My body has taken the toll. (back injury, acl replacement) My body just can't train, and training is hard on your body, so I wanted to go out on my own terms."

But before retirement, he will fight Griffin. The pair first faced off at UFC 59. It was a close fight won by Ortiz and was considered one of the best fights of 2006. Griffin took the rematch by split decision at UFC 106. Though they've fought each other for six rounds, Ortiz said he still is studying Griffin because it's part of the job.

"Gotta do your homework. I've got to do as much homework as I possibly can. I see mistakes that he does," Ortiz said. "It doesn't matter that it's my last fight. I'm still pushing my hardest."

He was touched by the UFC deciding to make him a Hall-of-Famer.

"It means all the hard work that I did means something. I've worked really hard in this business for 15 years. I've gotten to succeed, to be very successful, at mixed martial arts in the UFC."

Because he has been in the fight game for so long, he has not had as much time to spend with his family as he would like. He has three sons, and is happy the next stage in his life will involve plenty of time with them.

"First thing is being a full-time father. Being with my kids every single day. I'm starting the second chapter of my life, and it's truly about family."

Follow Tito Ortiz on Twitter for more as he prepares for UFC 148.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/tito-ortiz-talks-ufc-148-hall-fame-next-231744942--mma.html

Kit Cope  Wesley Cabbage Correira  Patrick The Predator Côté  Randy The Natural Couture 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen