Freitag, 1. Juni 2012

‘Broke’ Tom Lawlor gets $40,000 Knockout of the Night bonus at UFC on Fuel 3

Tom Lawlor knocked out Jason MacDonald in under a minute at UFC on Fuel 3 Tuesday and earned a $40,000 Knockout of the Night bonus. It turns out the extra money could not have come at a better time.

Lawlor, who is known for his flamboyant entrances and joking mood, became serious in a post-fight interview with Ariel Helwani. When Helwani asked about the pressure to win after coming off a loss at UFC 139, Lawlor admitted that the pressures were financial.

"I'll be honest. I'm broke. I have no money. This money that I got today, it's going to be the first time I've deposited a check in over a year. A year and a half. This is like a big deal to me. I had to borrow money from friends and family just in order to go into this fight. I want to thank them, obviously. This means a lot to me mentally, it means a lot to my bank account."

He recently switched training camps and moved to Massachusetts to be closer to family. The cost of living and fighting just once in 2011 -- a loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 139 -- caught up with him.

"I think I miscalculated the cost of living in the Northeast," Lawlor said. "I basically took all my money, bought a house and blew through my money — just living costs, traveling, price of gas, multiple training locations."

Unlike in the four major sports leagues, fighters pay for their own training expenses. The win plus $40,000 in bonus money should help Lawlor pay back those friends and family who were kind enough to help him.

--

Follow Cagewirter on Facebook and Twitter.

More sports news from the Yahoo! Sports Minute:

Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
UFC president Dana White diagnosed with Ménière's disease, will have surgery
Reggie Bush sets sights on rushing title | Video: Offense will hinder him
Y! News: Sugar can make you dumb, U.S. scientists warn

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/broke-tom-lawlor-gets-40-000-knockout-night-132021050.html

Marnicq Bervoets Fritz Betzlbacher Dave Bickers Anthony Boissiere

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen